Speedworks one-two in FP1
Dave Newsham pipped his Speedworks team-mate Ollie Jackson in the greasy conditions of free practice one at Brands Hatch.
Basked in glorious autumn sunshine the Grand Prix circuit was drying throughout the session as the morning sun continued to burn off the heavy overnight precipitation.
The two Toyota Avensis drivers ran well throughout, however, and were regularly in the top six during the ever-changing conditions. Both left it late to set a final flyer and crossed the line to go one-two in the dying moments.
“I wouldn’t get too excited just yet,” said a conservative Newsham. “The circuit was changing all the time and each corner was so different to the next – it’s a good start to the weekend though.”
Jackson agreed with Newsham’s thoughts but was delighted to have featured in the top order. “It was a funny session,” commented the Surrey-based driver. “To see both of us up there is extremely encouraging and it’s great for me to be up at the front for a change!”
Sam Tordoff’s MG and Aron Smith’s Ford Focus set the third and fourth fastest times respectively, whilst Smith’s team-mate Tom Onslow-Cole rounded out a fresh looking top five.
Jake Hill performed sensationally on his NGTC debut and was even quickest at one stage in the Exocet Racing Audi A4. The Kent teenager flew around the daunting GP circuit as if he’d been driving a top-level touring car his whole life but settled for an impressive sixth at the finish.
Mat Jackson confirmed Airwaves Racing’s pace with its three drivers in the top seven, whilst Matt Neal’s was the first of the championship contenders on the timesheets down in eighth. Neal’s team-mate and reigning champion Gordon Shedden was ninth ahead of the Ciceley Avensis of Adam Morgan.
Andrew Jordan, Colin Turkington and Jason Plato were all notable absentees from the top ten. The championship-challenging trio were 14th, 16th and 24th respectively.
The session was briefly halted to retrieve the Dynojet Toyota of Frank Wrathall from the gravel at Clearways.
2013 Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship – Brands Hatch GP – Free Practice 1
1. Dave Newsham (Speedworks Motorsport): 1:38.263
2. Ollie Jackson (Speedworks Motorsport): +0.494
3. Sam Tordoff (MG KX Momentum Racing): +1.753
4. Aron Smith (Airwaves Racing): +2.171
5. Tom Onslow-Cole (Airwaves Racing):+2.290
6. Jake Hill (Exocet Racing): +2.518
7. Mat Jackson (Airwaves Racing): +2.809
8. Matt Neal (Honda Yuasa Racing): +3.282
9. Gordon Shedden (Honda Yuasa Racing): +3.460
10. Adam Morgan (Ciceley Racing): +3.932
11. Lea Wood (Wheel Heaven/Houseman Racing): +4.011
12. Rob Austin (WIX Racing): +4.317
13. Warren Scott (Team BMR Restart): +4.614
14. Andrew Jordan (Pirtek Racing): +4.771
15. Liam Griffin (Addison Lee Motorbase): +4.795
16. Colin Turkington (eBay Motors): +5.448
17. Tom Barley (RCIB Insurance Racing): +5.750
18. Jack Goff (RCIB Insurance Racing): +5.816
19. Nick Foster (eBay Motors): +6.132
20. Dan Welch (Welch Motorsport with Sopp + Sopp): +7.253
21. Robert Collard (eBay Motors): +7.568
22. Shaun Hollamby (AmDTunung.com): +7.651
23. Aiden Moffat (PPCGB/Kraftwerk Racing): +8.268
24. Jason Plato (MG KX Momentum Racing): +9.893
25. Frank Wrathall (Dynojet): No time set