SUTTON SETS THE PACE IN FP2
Reigning champion Ash Sutton topped the final Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship free practice session at Donington Park, as the NAPA Racing UK man flexed his muscles in the #1 Ford Focus.
The afternoon run was generally slower than the opening morning session, but it was Sutton heading Ricky Collard’s Toyota GAZOO Racing UK machine by just 0.053s.
Two former champions in the shape of Gordon Shedden (Halfords Racing with Cataclean) and Colin Turkington (Team BMW) followed in the timesheets, whilst Stephen Jelley also impressed with fifth in the sister BMW.
A pair of Hyundais followed with FP1 pace-setter Tom Ingram pipping Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com team-mate Dan Lloyd.
Series returnee Dan Cammish was eighth in the other NAPA Racing UK Ford, ahead of Adam Morgan’s Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport BMW, whilst Rory Butcher ensured that both Toyota Corollas were inside the top ten.
Rich Energy BTC Racing’s frustrating start to proceedings continued with both Josh Cook and Jade Edwards bringing about brief stoppages following separate issues, although Jason Plato was able to take 12th in the final classification.
Almost 1,000 laps have been completed by the 28 entries so far, as the BTCC Hybrid Era kicked off at Donington Park.
Qualifying for Round 1 of the 2022 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship will take place from 1525, streamed live via www.itv.com/btcc.
2022 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship – Free Practice 2 – Donington Park
1. Ash SUTTON (GBR) NAPA Racing UK 1:09.176s
2. Ricky COLLARD (GBR) Toyota GAZOO Racing UK +0.053s
3. Gordon SHEDDEN (GBR) Halfords Racing with Cataclean +0.139s
4. Colin TURKINGTON (GBR) Team BMW +0.148s
5. Stephen JELLEY (GBR) Team BMW +0.207s
6. Tom INGRAM (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +0.257s
7. Daniel LLOYD (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +0.304s
8. Dan CAMMISH (GBR) NAPA Racing UK +0.348s
9. Adam MORGAN (GBR) Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport +0.355s
10. Rory BUTCHER (GBR) Toyota GAZOO Racing UK +0.360s
11. Michael CREES (GBR) CarStore Power Maxed Racing +0.399s
12. Jason PLATO (GBR) Rich Energy BTC Racing +0.444s
13. George GAMBLE (GBR) Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport +0.449s
14. Daniel ROWBOTTOM (GBR) Halfords Racing with Cataclean +0.458s
15. Jake HILL (GBR) ROKiT MB Motorsport +0.516s
16. Árón TAYLOR-SMITH (IRL) Yazoo with Safuu.com Racing +0.689s
17. Jade EDWARDS (GBR) Rich Energy BTC Racing +0.690s
18. Tom CHILTON (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +0.698s
19. Bobby THOMPSON (GBR) Autobrite Direct with JourneyHero +0.793s
20. Ollie JACKSON (GBR) Apec Racing with Beavis Morgan +0.795s
21. Dexter PATTERSON (GBR) Laser Tools Racing +1.305s
22. Sam OSBORNE (GBR) Apec Racing with Beavis Morgan +1.359s
23. Ash HAND (GBR) CarStore Power Maxed Racing +1.461s
24. Aiden MOFFAT (GBR) Laser Tools Racing +1.477s
25. Jack BUTEL (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +1.919s
26. Rick PARFITT (GBR) Uptonsteel with Euro Car Parts Racing +3.250s
27. Nic HAMILTON (GBR) Yazoo with Safuu.com Racing +3.665s
28. Josh COOK (GBR) Rich Energy BTC Racing NO TIME