JELLEY’S SWEETENER AHEAD OF QUALIFYING
Team BMW’s Stephen Jelley hit the front at the close of Free Practice 2 as the Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship blasted around Brands Hatch Indy Circuit in somewhat sparkling conditions.
The early season pace of the BTCC cars in this all-new Hybrid Era continues to impress with the top ten cars all dipping under the existing qualifying lap record.
The Vauxhall Astra of Michael Crees looked to have impressively grabbed P1 himself as the CarStore Power Maxed Racing star produced a fantastic lap at his home track.
Jelley kept his powder dry until late on, however, as the #12 BMW 330e M Sport sped across the start/finish line as the chequered flag emerged.
“It’s going well, but there’s a bit more to do yet today,” said Jelley. “I’ve got a job to do in qualifying. With having a mechanical [issue] at Donington, I’m in the position of being the BMW with the most hybrid for qualifying, so I’ve taken that on!
“The car’s handling well, me and Andy have done a bit of work in the build-up on the simulator and stuff, making sure I’ve crossed all the t’s and dotted the i’s and it’s paying off. But it’s the next session that counts!”
Championship leader Tom Ingram was third – the Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com man backing up his pace-setting performance from FP1 – whilst Rich Energy BTC Racing’s Josh Cook was fourth.
The BMW duo of Jake Hill (ROKiT MB Motorsport) and George Gamble (Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport) were next in the order, ahead of former champions Gordon Shedden (Halfords Racing with Cataclean) and Colin Turkington (Team BMW).
Daniel Rowbottom (Halfords Racing with Cataclean) and Adam Morgan (Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport) were among the crop highlighting the pace of the Hondas and BMWs, as they rounded out the top ten.
Qualifying for Round 4 of the 2022 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship from Brands Hatch takes place at 1545, and will streamed live via www.itv.com/btcc.
2022 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship – Free Practice 2 – Brands Hatch Indy
1. Stephen JELLEY (GBR) Team BMW 47.654s
2. Michael CREES (GBR) CarStore Power Maxed Racing +0.108s
3. Tom INGRAM (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +0.135s
4. Josh COOK (GBR) Rich Energy BTC Racing +0.214s
5. Jake HILL (GBR) ROKiT MB Motorsport +0.229s
6. George GAMBLE (GBR) Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport +0.253s
7. Gordon SHEDDEN (GBR) Halfords Racing with Cataclean +0.268s
8. Colin TURKINGTON (GBR) Team BMW +0.288s
9. Daniel ROWBOTTOM (GBR) Halfords Racing with Cataclean +0.297s
10. Adam MORGAN (GBR) Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport +0.301s
11. Rory BUTCHER (GBR) Toyota GAZOO Racing UK +0.366s
12. Daniel LLOYD (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +0.407s
13. Ash HAND (GBR) CarStore Power Maxed Racing +0.460s
14. Ricky COLLARD (GBR) Toyota GAZOO Racing UK +0.488s
15. Dexter PATTERSON (GBR) Laser Tools Racing +0.590s
16. Bobby THOMPSON (GBR) Autobrite Direct with JourneyHero +0.618s
17. Árón TAYLOR-SMITH (IRL) Yazoo with Safuu.com Racing +0.667s
18. Dan CAMMISH (GBR) NAPA Racing UK +0.684s
19. Tom CHILTON (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +0.696s
20. Aiden MOFFAT (GBR) Laser Tools Racing +0.705s
21. Ash SUTTON (GBR) NAPA Racing UK +0.757s
22. Jason PLATO (GBR) Rich Energy BTC Racing +0.795s
23. Ollie JACKSON (GBR) Apec Racing with Beavis Morgan +0.814s
24. Jade EDWARDS (GBR) Rich Energy BTC Racing +1.027s
25. Sam OSBORNE (GBR) Apec Racing with Beavis Morgan +1.066s
26. Jack BUTEL (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +1.092s
27. Nic HAMILTON (GBR) Yazoo with Safuu.com Racing +1.301s
28. Rick PARFITT (GBR) Uptonsteel with Euro Car Parts Racing +1.779s
29. Will POWELL (GBR) Autobrite Direct with JourneyHero +2.181s