JOSH COOK AT THE DOUBLE
Rich Energy BTC Racing’s Josh Cook secured a memorable double around the Brands Hatch Indy circuit after withstanding intense pressure throughout the second Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship race.
Cook – the first double race winner of the 2022 season – made a strong getaway from pole position, with ROKiT MB Motorsport’s Jake Hill behind, whilst the car of NAPA Racing UK’s Dan Cammish bogged down off the line.
There was contact further down the field going into Paddock Hill Bend for the first time as both cars from Laser Tools Racing (Aiden Moffat and Dexter Patterson), CarStore Power Maxed Racing (Ash Hand and Michael Crees) and the Halfords Racing with Cataclean Honda of Dan Rowbottom were all caught up in the melee.
Cammish was embroiled in a battle with the Toyota Corolla of Rory Butcher, after that had both seen off the attentions of championship leader Tom Ingram in the EXCELR8 Motorsport Hyundai.
A fantastic race ensued and gradually built towards an exciting climax with the cars of Cook, Hill and Cammish nose-to-tail in the closing stages.
The BMW 330e M Sport of Hill clipped the kerb at Druids on lap 22 of 24 and spun at low speed, as a number of rivals relegated him further down the order.
Cammish pressured Cook until the finish, but the Bath racer held on to clinch his second successive victory.
“I’m knackered – that was hard work!” said Cook. “For us, it’s about the point scores, we need to keep scoring big points. Last year we lost out on the championship because of a couple of bad weekends so we need to make hay while the sun shines and just grab as many points as we can.
So I’m pleased with the wins, but I’m more happy about the points. We’ve just got to keep doing that every single weekend, really boost the team. We had a tough start to the season at Donington, but to come here and get two wins is mega.
“I was counting down the laps; every single time I crossed the line, I was trying to save some hybrid for the end in case an assault happened. I could see in my mirrors I was being hassled by Jake and the way that he was sliding that car into Druids was just spectacular.
Good to watch, but terrifying when he would close in again! I don’t really know what happened, but he drove a good race. I was lucky to hold off the guys at the end.”
Butcher inherited third after his own impressive drive, whilst Ash Sutton made it a double celebration for NAPA Racing UK with fourth.
Ingram and Halfords Racing with Cataclean’s Gordon Shedden were fifth and sixth respectively, ahead of the frustrated Hill.
Daniel Lloyd (Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com), George Gamble (Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport) and Colin Turkington (Team BMW) completed the top ten positions.
A special mention also for Rich Energy BTC Racing’s Jade Edwards for securing 15th, the second points score of her BTCC career so far.
2022 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship – Race 2 – Brands Hatch Indy
1. Josh COOK (GBR) Rich Energy BTC Racing 24 laps
2. Dan CAMMISH (GBR) NAPA Racing UK +0.253s
3. Rory BUTCHER (GBR) Toyota GAZOO Racing UK +0.932s
4. Ash SUTTON (GBR) NAPA Racing UK +4.381s
5. Tom INGRAM (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +7.185s
6. Gordon SHEDDEN (GBR) Halfords Racing with Cataclean +10.086s
7. Jake HILL (GBR) ROKiT MB Motorsport +10.384s
8. Daniel LLOYD (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +10.889s
9. George GAMBLE (GBR) Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport +11.965s
10. Colin TURKINGTON (GBR) Team BMW +12.666s
11. Bobby THOMPSON (GBR) Autobrite Direct with JourneyHero +13.032
12. Tom CHILTON (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +13.558s
13. Jason PLATO (GBR) Rich Energy BTC Racing +17.570s
14. Ollie JACKSON (GBR) Apec Racing with Beavis Morgan +18.143s
15. Jade EDWARDS (GBR) Rich Energy BTC Racing +18.316s
16. Árón TAYLOR-SMITH (IRL) Yazoo with Safuu.com Racing +22.026s
17. Ricky COLLARD (GBR) Toyota GAZOO Racing UK +23.999s
18. Stephen JELLEY (GBR) Team BMW +24.900s
19. Jack BUTEL (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +25.117s
20. Sam OSBORNE (GBR) Apec Racing with Beavis Morgan +31.305s
21. Nic HAMILTON (GBR) Yazoo with Safuu.com Racing +38.800s
22. PARFITT (GBR) Uptonsteel with Euro Car Parts Racing +39.506
23. Will POWELL (GBR) Autobrite Direct with JourneyHero +1 lap
24. Aiden MOFFAT (GBR) Laser Tools Racing +3 laps
25. Michael CREES (GBR) CarStore Power Maxed Racing +17 laps
26. Daniel ROWBOTTOM (GBR) Halfords Racing with Cataclean +24 laps
27. Ash HAND (GBR) CarStore Power Maxed Racing +24 laps
28. Dexter PATTERSON (GBR) Laser Tools Racing +24 laps