SHEDDEN HEADS HOME HONDA ONE-TWO
Gordon Shedden topped team-mate Dan Rowbottom as Halfords Racing with Cataclean led the way in the final Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship free practice session at Croft.
The Team Dynamics-run outfit is keen to get its championship challenge back on track after a few challenging weekends with its Honda Civic Type Rs, but the multiple championship winning squad seems to be fully on song in North Yorkshire.
Shedden edged Rowbottom by just 0.143s, whilst Toyota GAZOO Racing UK’s Rory Butcher completed an eventful morning in third place – repeating his result from FP1, which was interrupted by a fire.
“It’s feeling really good,” said Butcher. “Especially coming out of these low-speed corners, we’ve got really good traction which is something you need round here!
“Unfortunately it was an electrical fire, there was a plume of smoke inside the car, as I accelerated down towards Tower and I just glanced down to my left and there was a little fire. So I pulled over, got the extinguisher, parked up next to the marshals and they were very quick to respond and put it out.
“The guys were very quick to respond and made sure they didn’t go gung-ho on the extinguisher, so the car is ok and feeling good. We’re looking forward to qualifying.”
There was a feel good story about the drivers in fourth and fifth as both Daniel Lloyd (Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com) and Bobby Thompson (Autobrite Direct with JourneyHero) have stories of misfortune to look back on.
Lloyd’s Hyundai was badly damaged in an accident two weeks’ ago, which left the Yorkshireman particularly sore, whilst Thompson is making his first visit to Croft since a dramatic barrel-roll here back in 2020.
FP1 pace-setter Tom Ingram (Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com) was sixth followed by two BMWs in the shape of Jake Hill (ROKiT MB Motorsport) and George Gamble (Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport).
Laser Tools Racing’s Aiden Moffat and CarStore Power Maxed Racing’s Ash Hand completed the top ten.
Qualifying for Round 13 of the 2022 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship takes place later this afternoon with the live stream commencing via www.itv.com/btcc from 1515.
2022 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship – Free Practice 2 –
1. Gordon SHEDDEN (GBR) Halfords Racing with Cataclean 1:21.589s
2. Daniel ROWBOTTOM (GBR) Halfords Racing with Cataclean +0.143s
3. Rory BUTCHER (GBR) Toyota GAZOO Racing UK +0.221s
4. Daniel LLOYD (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +0.294s
5. Bobby THOMPSON (GBR) Autobrite Direct with JourneyHero +0.333s
6. Tom INGRAM (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +0.350s
7. Jake HILL (GBR) ROKiT MB Motorsport +0.353s
8. George GAMBLE (GBR) Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport +0.371s
9. Aiden MOFFAT (GBR) Laser Tools Racing +0.390s
10. Ash HAND (GBR) CarStore Power Maxed Racing +0.449s
11. Colin TURKINGTON (GBR) Team BMW +0.461s
12. Adam MORGAN (GBR) Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport +0.477s
13. Tom CHILTON (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +0.648s
14. Ricky COLLARD (GBR) Toyota GAZOO Racing UK +0.676s
15. Michael CREES (GBR) CarStore Power Maxed Racing +0.734s
16. Stephen JELLEY (GBR) Team BMW +0.754s
17. Ash SUTTON (GBR) NAPA Racing UK +0.877s
18. Josh COOK (GBR) Rich Energy BTC Racing +0.880s
19. Jason PLATO (GBR) Rich Energy BTC Racing +0.892s
20. Dexter PATTERSON (GBR) Laser Tools Racing +0.985s
21. Ollie JACKSON (GBR) Apec Racing with Beavis Morgan +1.050s
22. James GORNALL (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +1.061s
23. Sam OSBORNE (GBR) Apec Racing with Beavis Morgan +1.096s
24. Árón TAYLOR-SMITH (IRL) Yazoo with Safuu.com Racing +1.467s
25. Jade EDWARDS (GBR) Rich Energy BTC Racing +1.642s
26. Nic HAMILTON (GBR) Yazoo with Safuu.com Racing +2.094s
27. Will POWELL (GBR) Autobrite Direct with JourneyHero +2.671s
28. Dan CAMMISH (GBR) NAPA Racing UK NO TIME