HILL TURNS UP THE HEAT
ROKiT MB Motorsport’s Jake Hill – fresh from his win and double podium at Knockhill last time out – has set the fastest lap during Free Practice 2 as the BTCC blasts around the Snetterton 300 circuit amid sweltering conditions.
Hill’s kickstarted his title challenge north of the border with arguably the most eye-catching performance of his BTCC career so far, and having hauled himself to within 14 points of championship leader Colin Turkington, the Kent ace is seemingly hitting form at a critical stage of the season.
As per the opening session, it was BMW and Hyundai machinery filling the top four positions with FP1 pace-setter Tom Ingram (Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com) having to settle for second this afternoon.
Team BMW’s Stephen Jelley was third, whilst Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com’s Dan Lloyd repeated his morning performance with fourth.
A trio of drivers enjoyed an upturn in performance during their second runs with Dan Rowbottom (Halfords Racing with Cataclean), Ash Hand (CarStore Power Maxed Racing) and Jason Plato (Rich Energy BTC Racing) occupying fifth, sixth and seventh respectively.
Tom Chilton again ensured that three Hyundais were inside the top ten as he was followed on the timsheets by Team BMW’s Colin Turkington and Autobrite Direct with JourneyHero’s Bobby Thompson – the latter having enjoyed a solid start to his weekend.
Track temperatures are currently some ten degrees higher than the optimum conditions in which Ash Sutton set his benchmark during the two-day Goodyear tyre test last month, resulting in this afternoon’s lap times being around 1.5s slower.
There was one brief stoppage during FP2 when Nic Hamilton had a slight off in his Team HARD-run CUPRA.
Qualifying for Round 19 of the 2022 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship commences from 1520 and will be streamed live via www.itv.com/btcc.
2022 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship – Free Practice 2 – Snetterton
1. Jake HILL (GBR) ROKiT MB Motorsport 1:56.741s
2. Tom INGRAM (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +0.116s
3. Stephen JELLEY (GBR) Team BMW +0.303s
4. Daniel LLOYD (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +0.601s
5. Daniel ROWBOTTOM (GBR) Halfords Racing with Cataclean +0.647s
6. Ash HAND (GBR) CarStore Power Maxed Racing +0.750s
7. Jason PLATO (GBR) Rich Energy BTC Racing +0.755s
8. Tom CHILTON (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +0.755s
9. Colin TURKINGTON (GBR) Team BMW +0.824s
10. Bobby THOMPSON (GBR) Autobrite Direct with JourneyHero +0.995s
11. George GAMBLE (GBR) Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport +0.997s
12. Michael CREES (GBR) CarStore Power Maxed Racing +1.198s
13. Josh COOK (GBR) Rich Energy BTC Racing +1.252s
14. Aiden MOFFAT (GBR) Laser Tools Racing +1.306s
15. Dexter PATTERSON (GBR) Laser Tools Racing +1.315s
16. Ricky COLLARD (GBR) Toyota GAZOO Racing UK +1.325s
17. Adam MORGAN (GBR) Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport +1.337s
18. Dan CAMMISH (GBR) NAPA Racing UK +1.341s
19. Rory BUTCHER (GBR) Toyota GAZOO Racing UK +1.405s
20. Ash SUTTON (GBR) NAPA Racing UK +1.481s
21. Ollie JACKSON (GBR) Apec Racing with Beavis Morgan +1.725s
22. Gordon SHEDDEN (GBR) Halfords Racing with Cataclean +1.481s
23. Jade EDWARDS (GBR) Rich Energy BTC Racing +1.936s
24. Árón TAYLOR-SMITH (IRL) Yazoo with Safuu.com Racing +2.021s
25. Jack BUTEL (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +3.243s
26. Sam OSBORNE (GBR) Apec Racing with Beavis Morgan +2.912s
27. Will POWELL (GBR) Autobrite Direct with JourneyHero +3.550s
28. Rick PARFITT (GBR) Uptonsteel with Euro Car Parts Racing +4.083s
29. Nic HAMILTON (GBR) Yazoo with Safuu.com Racing +4.244s