TWO OUT OF TWO FOR TURKINGTON
Colin Turkington’s imperious form has continued here at Snetterton as the Team BMW star produced his second commanding victory of the day so far.
The four-time champion still has his 500th BTCC race ahead of him later today, as this milestone weekend for Turkington is also quickly turning into one of the best of his illustrious career so far.
ROKiT MB Motorsport’s Jake Hill made the opening lap one to remember as he ran side-by-side with Turkington for a number of corners. The battle swung one way and then the other, but the more experienced man just about held on to complete the first tour ahead before pulling away.
There was one brief safety car period for Turkington to contend with, but status quo remained following the restart as Turkington, Hill and Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com’s Tom Ingram completed an identical podium to the first encounter.
Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport’s Adam Morgan grabbed his second fourth place finish of the day, as he was once again followed home by Team BMW’s Stephen Jelley.
The most eye-catching performance came from Toyota GAZOO Racing UK’s Ricky Collard as the young star made up five places from his grid position to take sixth – the best result of his season so far.
Jason Plato continued his own impressive weekend as the Rich Energy BTC Racing star took seventh, and he’ll be hoping to secure silverware in his 650th BTCC race later this afternoon.
Daniel Rowbottom, (Halfords Racing with Cataclean), Ash Sutton (NAPA Racing UK) and Ash Hand (CarStore Power Maxed Racing) completed the top ten.
Sutton was rewarded with reverse-grid pole position for the final race at Snetterton, which will commence at 1710 and will be screened live on ITV4.
Colin Turkington said: “Strangely, it was obviously still very hot, but race one was tougher. I think we’ve just got a bit of cloud cover now and that takes the sting off it a bit! But my car was even more in the window than it was in race one and that makes it easier too, when you’re not fighting the car, the balance. When it’s doing what you want, it’s a bit easier. Jake [Hill] was there the whole time, he was quick! I could see that he was sneaking up behind me with a bit of hybrid, but I was just patient and used mine on the last lap. So that’s another good result for Team BMW.
“We all want to win there’s no doubt about that and lap one is anybody’s opportunity to try and get into the lead – it’s the most difficult phase of the race to defend. We were side-by-side for about three quarters of the lap, but we showed each other a lot of respect and we won out of the situation, both of us cut back in in front of Tom [Ingram] so it was well played.
“We’ll see what the reverse grid draw does and try and keep the car in the top ten. Two wins is no good without a score in race three, so I need to get the car home.”
2022 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship – Race 2 – Snetterton
1. Colin TURKINGTON (GBR) Team BMW 14 laps
2. Jake HILL (GBR) ROKiT MB Motorsport +1.287s
3. Tom INGRAM (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +4.872s
4. Adam MORGAN (GBR) Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport +5.919s
5. Stephen JELLEY (GBR) Team BMW +6.310s
6. Ricky COLLARD (GBR) Toyota GAZOO Racing UK +8.634s
7. Jason PLATO (GBR) Rich Energy BTC Racing +9.838s
8. Daniel ROWBOTTOM (GBR) Halfords Racing with Cataclean +10.477s
9. Ash SUTTON (GBR) NAPA Racing UK +10.717s
10. Ash HAND (GBR) CarStore Power Maxed Racing +14.191s
11. Daniel LLOYD (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +14.806s
12. Rory BUTCHER (GBR) Toyota GAZOO Racing UK +15.171s
13. Ollie JACKSON (GBR) Apec Racing with Beavis Morgan +17.088s
14. George GAMBLE (GBR) Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport +17.355s
15. Josh COOK (GBR) Rich Energy BTC Racing +20.393s
16. Árón TAYLOR-SMITH (IRL) Yazoo with Safuu.com Racing +22.623s
17. Bobby THOMPSON (GBR) Autobrite Direct with JourneyHero +22.761s
18. Dan CAMMISH (GBR) NAPA Racing UK +23.014s
19. Jack BUTEL (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +23.448s
20. Sam OSBORNE (GBR) Apec Racing with Beavis Morgan +25.044s
21. Michael CREES (GBR) CarStore Power Maxed Racing +33.686s
22. Jade EDWARDS (GBR) Rich Energy BTC Racing +43.354s
23. Nic HAMILTON (GBR) Yazoo with Safuu.com Racing +47.161s
24. Aiden MOFFAT (GBR) Laser Tools Racing +6 laps
25. Will POWELL (GBR) Autobrite Direct with JourneyHero +6 laps
26. Rick PARFITT (GBR) Uptonsteel with Euro Car Parts Racing +7 laps
27. Gordon SHEDDEN (GBR) Halfords Racing with Cataclean +10 laps
28. Dexter PATTERSON (GBR) Laser Tools Racing +10 laps