INGRAM IN CONTROL DURING FP1
Tom Ingram has topped the times in the opening Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship free practice session at Thruxton this morning (27 August), as the Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com man pulled nearly half a second clear of the chasing pack.
“Really good start,” enthused Ingram. “The car just felt really good. The wheels are a bit dusty because I may or may not have dropped it going through Church which was a nice way to open the Saturday morning.”
Fellow title contenders – Jake Hill (ROKiT MB Motorsport) and Josh Cook (Rich Energy BTC Racing) – were next in the order, with the latter being the undisputed king of the UK’s fastest circuit having taken nine wins here so far during his career.
“Obviously it’s been good for us here in the past, but it’s no secret that we’ve struggled in the past few months with our straight-line speed,” said Bath driver Cook. “We’re lucky at this circuit that there are only two acceleration areas, but they are long, so if we do lack in that area it’s just how much we can make up in the corners to balance it out.
“We’ve got a good set up in the car, the team do an incredible job with the prep. They know what I need round here and I’m really comfortable with driving on the edge. There is no little ingredient that changes any one thing, it’s just a collective effort that allows me to go and push right to the ragged edge.
“We always get a great fanbase here. It’s like no other circuit we go to – it’s my favourite and it’s a nice journey home as well.”
CarStore Power Maxed Racing’s Ash Hand performed brilliantly to fire his Vauxhall Astra up to fourth in the closing minutes, as he edged out reigning champion Ash Sutton (NAPA Racing UK) and Stephen Jelley (Team BMW).
Colin Turkington ensured that the three WSR-run BMWs were inside the top seven, whilst Dan Lloyd in eighth is looking for good results this weekend having received extra backing on his Hyundai for the remainder of the campaign from Bristol Street Motors.
Gordon Shedden (Halfords Racing with Cataclean) and Dan Cammish (NAPA Racing UK) completed the top ten, ahead of the Toyota GAZOO Racing UK duo of Rory Butcher and Ricky Collard – the latter recovering from a moment at Church during the session.
Free Practice 2 takes place at 1205 before Qualifying for Round 22 of the Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship commences at 1525, and will be streamed live via www.itv.com/btcc.
2022 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship – Free Practice 1 – Thruxton
1. Tom INGRAM (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +1:15.842s
2. Jake HILL (GBR) ROKiT MB Motorsport +0.497s
3. Josh COOK (GBR) Rich Energy BTC Racing +0.529s
4. Ash HAND (GBR) CarStore Power Maxed Racing +0.551s
5. Ash SUTTON (GBR) NAPA Racing UK +0.582s
6. Stephen JELLEY (GBR) Team BMW +0.661s
7. Colin TURKINGTON (GBR) Team BMW +0.737s
8. Daniel LLOYD (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +0.848s
9. Gordon SHEDDEN (GBR) Halfords Racing with Cataclean +0.860s
10. Dan CAMMISH (GBR) NAPA Racing UK +1.115s
11. Rory BUTCHER (GBR) Toyota GAZOO Racing UK +1.142s
12. Ricky COLLARD (GBR) Toyota GAZOO Racing UK +1.244s
13. Adam MORGAN (GBR) Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport +1.298s
14. Daniel ROWBOTTOM (GBR) Halfords Racing with Cataclean +1.393s
15. George GAMBLE (GBR) Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport +1.429s
16. Jason PLATO (GBR) Rich Energy BTC Racing +1.624s
17. Dexter PATTERSON (GBR) Laser Tools Racing +1.694s
18. Árón TAYLOR-SMITH (IRL) Yazoo with Safuu.com Racing +1.816s
19. Jack BUTEL (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +1.827s
20. Bobby THOMPSON (GBR) Autobrite Direct with JourneyHero +1.896s
21. Tom CHILTON (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +1.930s
22. Jade EDWARDS (GBR) Rich Energy BTC Racing +2.065s
23. Michael CREES (GBR) CarStore Power Maxed Racing +2.090s
24. Aiden MOFFAT (GBR) Laser Tools Racing +2.164s
25. Tom OLIPHANT (GBR) Autobrite Direct with JourneyHero +2.441s
26. Ollie JACKSON (GBR) Apec Racing with Beavis Morgan +2.472s
27. Sam OSBORNE (GBR) Apec Racing with Beavis Morgan +2.776s
28. Nic HAMILTON (GBR) Yazoo with Safuu.com Racing +2.970s
29. Rick PARFITT (GBR) Uptonsteel with Euro Car Parts Racing +3.087s