SHEDDEN PIPS COOK AT THE POST IN FP2
Halfords Racing with Cataclean’s Gordon Shedden hit the top in the final moments of Free Practice 2 as the Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship continued its race weekend at Thruxton.
The Honda Civic Type R has often been the weapon of choice around the UK’s fastest circuit and it was little surprise to see Hampshire specialist Josh Cook leading the way for much of the session.
With Rich Energy BTC Racing’s Cook parked up and sitting out the remaining minutes of FP2, however, Shedden blasted his #52 Team Dynamics machine to the head of the field.
ROKiT MB Motorsport’s Jake Hill managed to scupper a potential Honda 1-2-3 as he pipped Dan Rowbottom to third, whilst Team BMW’s Colin Turkington and Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com’s Tom Chilton completed the top six.
Ash Hand has enjoyed a stellar day so far in his CarStore Power Maxed Racing Vauxhall, as he bagged seventh ahead of Rich Energy BTC Racing’s Jason Plato.
Reigning champion Ash Sutton had to settle for ninth in his #1 NAPA Racing UK Ford Focus, whilst Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport’s George Gamble was tenth.
It has been a tough day for some of the drivers towards the rear of the field with Rick Parfitt being one of those to struggle so far.
“At least I’ll have three good (sets of) tyres and then we can sit down and try to make some changes for tomorrow,” he said. “My race pace has always been strong so that’s when we ‘ve got to try to make the difference.”
Qualifying for Round 22 of the 2022 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship will take place at 1525 and will be streamed live via www.itv.com/btcc.
2022 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship – Free Practice 2 – Thruxton
1. Gordon SHEDDEN (GBR) Halfords Racing with Cataclean 1:15.896s
2. Josh COOK (GBR) Rich Energy BTC Racing +0.122s
3. Jake HILL (GBR) ROKiT MB Motorsport +0.163s
4. Daniel ROWBOTTOM (GBR) Halfords Racing with Cataclean +0.285s.
5. Colin TURKINGTON (GBR) Team BMW +0.317s
6. Tom CHILTON (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +0.460s
7. Ash HAND (GBR) CarStore Power Maxed Racing +0.489s
8. Jason PLATO (GBR) Rich Energy BTC Racing +0.493s
9. Ash SUTTON (GBR) NAPA Racing UK +0.592s
10. George GAMBLE (GBR) Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport +0.642s
11. Tom INGRAM (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +0.684s
12. Bobby THOMPSON (GBR) Autobrite Direct with JourneyHero +0.709s
13. Daniel LLOYD (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +0.725s
14. Michael CREES (GBR) CarStore Power Maxed Racing +0.875s
15. Ricky COLLARD (GBR) Toyota GAZOO Racing UK +0.884s
16. Dan CAMMISH (GBR) NAPA Racing UK +0.898s
17. Stephen JELLEY (GBR) Team BMW +0.916s
18. Adam MORGAN (GBR) Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport +0.954s
19. Ollie JACKSON (GBR) Apec Racing with Beavis Morgan +1.032s
20. Rory BUTCHER (GBR) Toyota GAZOO Racing UK +1.330s
21. Aiden MOFFAT (GBR) Laser Tools Racing +1.363s
22. Dexter PATTERSON (GBR) Laser Tools Racing +1.398s
23. Árón TAYLOR-SMITH (IRL) Yazoo with Safuu.com Racing +1.558s
24. Jade EDWARDS (GBR) Rich Energy BTC Racing +1.666s
25. Jack BUTEL (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +1.745s
26. Tom OLIPHANT (GBR) Autobrite Direct with JourneyHero +2.206s
27. Sam OSBORNE (GBR) Apec Racing with Beavis Morgan +2.258s
28. Rick PARFITT (GBR) Uptonsteel with Euro Car Parts Racing +3.536s
29. Nic HAMILTON (GBR) Yazoo with Safuu.com Racing +3.783s