SUTTON HEADS HOME FIRST-EVER NAPA RACING UK ONE-TWO
Ash Sutton claimed victory in the second Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship race at Thruxton as NAPA Racing UK scored its first-ever one-two in the UK’s premier motorsport series.
Team-mate Dan Cammish dominated proceedings as the Yorkshireman looked to double-up following his opening race success, but with the Drivers’ title on the line the team made the decision to let Sutton through with two laps to go.
Halfords Racing with Cataclean’s Gordon Shedden dropped to third in the early running and remained there throughout, whilst ROKiT MB Motorsport’s Jake Hill had a similar experience to take fourth.
Incredibly, this was the 200th BTCC race for Sutton and 400th for Shedden, and both of the triple champions ended their milestone race with significant silverware.
Toyota GAZOO Racing UK’s Rory Butcher and EXCELR8 Motorsport’s Tom Ingram were fifth and sixth, both scoring solid championship points in the process.
Dan Rowbottom (Halfords Racing with Cataclean), Josh Cook (Rich Energy BTC Racing) and Michael Crees (CarStore Power Maxed Racing) were next in the order, whilst Team BMW’s Colin Turkington pipped team-mate Stephen Jelley to tenth.
Ash Sutton said: “If you need a teammate Dan [Cammish] is the man for that. He’s just shown that he’s supporting the campaign and what we’re trying to do as an outfit and hopefully soon I can repay the favour.
“We got the fastest lap in at the start, I let Dan get some air, and then I tried to focus on getting a mix going on behind me as Shedden and Hill getting involved with each other. So I let that happen and when they started battling I thought ‘right let’s crack on’ and then the call came to switch positions.”
Dan Cammish said: “At the end of the day there are times in your life when racing goes from being your hobby to being your job and I’m very proud and pleased that this is my job through the support of these people here. So when they say ‘Dan do the right thing’ you do it and as Ash [Sutton] just mentioned we’re one team and one day I’ll make sure he has to repay the favour.
“Ultimately we had a fantastic race with another great start. We led from the front and we were gone again. I had no doubt we were going to bring that home but it was the right choice and if this makes the difference then it will all be worth it.”
Gordon Shedden said: “I had a really good race but I got muscled out, the two NAPA cars muscled me out a little bit at the Complex.
“It’s so fast and I was too close to Ash [Sutton]. I had really good pace but couldn’t use it and with the aerowash out the back I was losing the tyres for the last three laps.
“It’s been two podiums today, it’s good points, and now we just need to convert in the last race as best we can.”
2022 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship – Race Two – Thruxton
1. Ash SUTTON (GBR) Napa Racing UK 14 laps
2. Dan CAMMISH (GBR) Napa Racing UK +1.283s
3. Gordon SHEDDEN (GBR) Halfords Racing with Cataclean +2.215s
4. Jake HILL (GBR) ROKiT MB Motorsport +2.894s
5. Rory BUTCHER (GBR) Toyota GAZOO Racing UK +4.310s
6. Tom INGRAM (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +7.501s
7. Daniel ROWBOTTOM (GBR) Halfords Racing with Cataclean +7.774s
8. Josh COOK (GBR) Rich Energy BTC Racing +10.067s
9. Michael CREES (GBR) CarStore Power Maxed Racing +10.398s
10. Colin TURKINGTON (GBR) Team BMW +11.071s
11. Stephen JELLEY (GBR) Team BMW +13.923s
12. Bobby THOMPSON (GBR) Autobrite Direct with JourneyHero +15.778s
13. Daniel LLOYD (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +15.910s
14. Adam MORGAN (GBR) Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport +16.751s
15. Ricky COLLARD (GBR) Toyota GAZOO Racing UK +22.427s
16. Aiden MOFFAT (GBR) Laser Tools Racing +23.997s
17. Ollie JACKSON (GBR) Apec Racing with Beavis Morgan +24.929s
18. Jason PLATO (GBR) Rich Energy BTC Racing +26.199s
19. George GAMBLE (GBR) Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport +27.553s
20. Sam OSBORNE (GBR) Apec Racing with Beavis Morgan +28.722s
21. Jack BUTEL (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +28.914s
22. Tom CHILTON (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +29.445s
23. Jade EDWARDS (GBR) Rich Energy BTC Racing +30.041s
24. Tom OLIPHANT (GBR) Autobrite Direct with JourneyHero +37.369s
25. Árón TAYLOR-SMITH (IRL) Yazoo with Safuu.com Racing +1:17.514s
26. Rick PARFITT (GBR) Uptonsteel with Euro Car Parts Racing +1:17.576s
27. Nicolas HAMILTON (GBR) Yazoo with Safuu.com Racing +2 laps
28. Ash HAND (GBR) CarStore Power Maxed Racing +8 laps
29. Dexter PATTERSON (GBR) Laser Tools Racing +9 laps