LLOYD WINS AS INGRAM CLINCHES TITLE
Tom Ingram is the 2022 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Champion after producing a sensational performance during the Brands Hatch season finale weekend.
A double victory from the first two bouts was followed up with fifth in a thrilling finale as rivals Ash Sutton and Jake Hill failed to make a dent in Ingram’s points advantage.
The race itself was won by Daniel Lloyd (Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com) from Josh Cook (Rich Energy BTC Racing) and Rory Butcher (Toyota GAZOO Racing UK), but it was all eyes on the battle behind as Sutton (NAPA Racing UK), Hill (ROKiT MB Motorsport) and Ingram (Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com) ran nose-to-tail in the closing laps.
The deciding moment of truth came on the last lap as Hill made one last lunge on Sutton, which then unfortunately forced the former wide and out of contention.
Ingram tucked in behind Sutton and crossed the line to become champion for the first time in his BTCC career.
Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport’s George Gamble closed out his debut campaign with an impressive sixth-place finish ahead of Hill, whilst Dan Cammish (NAPA Racing UK), Stephen Jelley (Team BMW) and Aiden Moffat (Laser Tools Racing) rounded out the top ten positions.
A jubilant EXCELR8 Motorsport team, and thousands of fans, celebrated as Ingram blasted over the line, as elation soon turned to emotion for the super-talented 29-year-old – with tears of joy flowing during his interview live on ITV4.
Tom Ingram said: “I’ve thought about this moment for literally my entire life. This is what I wanted to do. This is what I wanted to win. Never did I think it was going to come. We’ve had a few years of coming into this weekend and it not quite working out; I cannot put into words how much of a fantastic team I have around me to have made this happen. It’s just incredible. From Chris and Leslie to everyone associated with Bristol Street Motors, Anthony, Justina, my amazing girlfriend Laura, my parents. To every single person that’s helped me along the way. I cannot put into words just how much it means.
“I felt like I needed an adult with me [during the race]. Somebody to come in the passenger seat and say ‘it’s okay, just chill! It will all be fine.’ I was talking to Spencer, he was constant. All the way through on the radio, every lap, more information. Knowing what was going on, knowing the gap, knowing who was around me.
“I’m not going to do anything else [but race], why would I do anything else? It’s a racing car, it’s in the best championship in the entire world. Why would I sit there, you’ve got to go for it!
“When we’ve devoted our life to it, as we have done, and you have all the sacrifices, everything from meeting Matt Neal when I was five years old at the Autosport Show, falling in love with the British Touring Car Championship and over the years, coming through all the support series, all the Ginettas, getting into touring cars with Speedworks [Motorsport], it’s been absolutely amazing. I owe absolutely everything to my amazing team who have put everything behind me because they’ve just worked tirelessly this year. It’s just been incredible. This isn’t going to sink in, I’m going to have sore cheeks for at least a week.”
2022 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship – Race 3 – Brands Hatch GP
1. Daniel LLOYD (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com 17 laps
2. Josh COOK (GBR) Rich Energy BTC Racing +0.724s
3. Rory BUTCHER (GBR) Toyota GAZOO Racing UK +4.409s
4. Ash SUTTON (GBR) NAPA Racing UK +8.555s
5. Tom INGRAM (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +9.479s
6. George GAMBLE (GBR) Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport +9.831s
7. Jake HILL (GBR) ROKiT MB Motorsport +10.327s
8. Dan CAMMISH (GBR) NAPA Racing UK +11.472s
9. Stephen JELLEY (GBR) Team BMW +17.304s
10. Aiden MOFFAT (GBR) Laser Tools Racing +21.511s
11. Ricky COLLARD (GBR) Toyota GAZOO Racing UK +21.733s
12. Colin TURKINGTON (GBR) Team BMW +21.932s
13. Gordon SHEDDEN (GBR) Halfords Racing with Cataclean +22.219s
14. Dexter PATTERSON (GBR) Laser Tools Racing +22.332s
15. Ash HAND (GBR) CarStore Power Maxed Racing +22.644s
16. Sam OSBORNE (GBR) Apec Racing with Beavis Morgan +23.308s
17. Jason PLATO (GBR) Rich Energy BTC Racing +23.593s
18. Tom CHILTON (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +24.120s
19. Jack BUTEL (GBR) Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.com +24.713s
20. Árón TAYLOR-SMITH (IRL) Yazoo with Safuu.com Racing +25.167s
21. Jade EDWARDS (GBR) Rich Energy BTC Racing +25.388s
22. Ollie JACKSON (GBR) Apec Racing with Beavis Morgan +25.713s
23. Michael CREES (GBR) CarStore Power Maxed Racing +1 lap
24. Adam MORGAN (GBR) Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport +1 lap
25. Daniel ROWBOTTOM (GBR) Halfords Racing with Cataclean +5 laps
26. Nic HAMILTON (GBR) Yazoo with Safuu.com Racing +7 laps
27. Carl BOARDLEY (GBR) Autobrite Direct with JourneyHero +9 laps
28. Bobby THOMPSON (GBR) Autobrite Direct with JourneyHero +15 laps
29. Rick PARFITT (GBR) Uptonsteel with Euro Car Parts Racing +16 laps