BUTCHER’S BEST TOPS FP2
Rory Butcher enjoyed an extremely promising final practice session at Brands Hatch, as the TOYOTA GAZOO Racing UK star hit the top of the timesheets.
Butcher’s benchmark lap in wet conditions was set relatively early on during the 40-minute session, as were most of the leading times with NAPA Racing UK’s Ash Sutton slotting into second – as he did earlier this morning.
Bobby Thompson (Autobrite Direct with Millers Oils), Jake Hill (Laser Tools Racing with MB Motorsport) and Ricky Collard (TOYOTA GAZOO Racing UK) all impressed once more – as they had during the opening session – with the trio coming home third, fourth and fifth respectively.
“Brands Hatch is the local circuit for both me and the team,” said Thompson. “I got my first podium here 12 months ago and we know the Cupra goes well here, so I don’t think I’ve ever been this excited for a BTCC weekend.”
“Tomorrow looks like it will clear up quite a bit, which is good for us,” noted Hill. “It’s just a case of getting through today and Qualifying and just stay there in the top five.”
Team BMW’s Colin Turkington has been quietly going about his business, as he so often does on a Saturday, with the Northern Irishman clocking a top six lap time for the second successive session.
BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8 were out in force with Tom Chilton, Ronan Pearson, Tom Ingram in seventh, eighth and ninth, whilst NAPA Racing UK’s Dan Cammish rounded out the top ten.
Qualifying for Round 4 of the 2023 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship from Brands Hatch will take place at 1525 and will be streamed LIVE via the ITV Sport YouTube channel.
Today’s qualifying will be one of five from ten events this season where the ‘Top Ten Showdown’ format will be deployed.
All drivers will take part in the normal 30-minute qualifying session to record their lap times. Following a short five-minute break, the fastest ten competitors will then progress to a ten-minute pole position ‘Top Ten Showdown’ session to determine the top ten places on the grid.
2023 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship – Free Practice 2 – Brands Hatch Indy
- Rory Butcher, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing UK +53.978s
- Ashley Sutton, NAPA Racing UK +0.005s
- Bobby Thompson, Autobrite Direct with Millers Oils +0.017s
- Jake Hill, Laser Tools Racing with MB Motorsport +0.035s
- Ricky Collard, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing UK +0.079s
- Colin Turkington, Team BMW +0.129s
- Tom Chilton, BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8 +0.204s
- Ronan Pearson, BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8 +0.256s
- Tom Ingram, BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8 +0.284s
- Dan Cammish, NAPA Racing UK +0.311s
- George Gamble, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing UK +0.337s
- Daniel Rowbottom, NAPA Racing UK +0.390s
- Stephen Jelley, Team BMW +0.403s
- Josh Cook, One Motorsport with Starline Racing +0.485s
- Adam Morgan, Team BMW +0.508s
- Aiden Moffat, One Motorsport with Starline Racing +0.576s
- Jack Butel, Go-Fix with Autoaid Breakdown +0.650s
- Dexter Patterson, Re.Beverages and Bartercard with Team HARD +0.729s
- Andrew Watson, CarStore Power Maxed Racing +0.746s
- Daniel Lloyd, Autobrite Direct with Millers Oils +0.824s
- Mikey Doble, CarStore Power Maxed Racing +0.952s
- Nick Halstead, BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8 +1.003s
- Árón Taylor-Smith, CarStore Power Maxed Racing +1.075s
- Sam Osborne, NAPA Racing UK +1.104s
- Jade Edwards, Re.Beverages and Bartercard with Team HARD +1.141s
- Nic Hamilton, Go-Fix with Autoaid Breakdown +1.121s
- Will Powell, One Motorsport with Starline Racing +1.311s