THOMPSON TAKES TOP SPOT IN FP2
Team HARD’s Bobby Thompson produced a stunning last-gasp lap to hit the top of the timesheets in FP2 as the Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship action continues apace at Oulton Park.
The Cupras had already shown good pace in the opening session, with Thompson ending up third, but the Essex racer went even better in the second segment with a fantastic effort.
A clean lap from Thompson was further aided exiting the final corner as he picked up a nice tow across the line from a Team BMW machine, which vaulted him above Tom Ingram into P1.
Ingram continued his recent Oulton Park form as he slotted into second, following on from his benchmark setting performance in the morning run.
The reigning champion had often experienced a rather challenging time at the picturesque Cheshire circuit prior to his pole position and double victory last season, which helped propel him towards the title, and now the Hyundai driver seems to be in complete synergy with the 2.23-miles of Tarmac.
CarStore Power Maxed Racing and NAPA Racing UK filled the next four positions with Aron Taylor-Smith, Dan Cammish, Andrew Watson and Ash Sutton highlighting the credentials of the Vauxhall Astra and Ford Focus.
Jack Butel had a fantastic run to seventh with the Team HARD stable having four Cupras inside the top five at one stage.
Josh Cook (One Motorsport with Starline Racing), George Gamble (TOYOTA GAZOO Racing UK) and Jake Hill (Laser Tools Racing with MB Motorsport) rounded out the top ten.
Just 0.349s separated the top ten with the top 23 cars blanketed by an incredible 0.878s, a position that was occupied by four-time champion Colin Turkington.
Qualifying for Round 13 of the 2023 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship will take place at 1540 later today with the action being streamed live on the ITV Sport YouTube channel.
2023 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship – FP2 – Oulton Park
- Bobby Thompson Autobrite Direct with Millers Oils 1:25.554s
- Tom Ingram, BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8 +0.017s
- Árón Taylor-Smith, CarStore Power Maxed Racing +0.129s
- Dan Cammish, NAPA Racing UK +0.156s
- Andrew Watson, CarStore Power Maxed Racing +0.176s
- Ashley Sutton, NAPA Racing UK +0.250s
- Jack Butel, Go-Fix with Autoaid Breakdown +0.289s
- Josh Cook, One Motorsport with Starline Racing +0.292s
- George Gamble, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing UK +0.297s
- Jake Hill, Laser Tools Racing with MB Motorsport +0.349s
- Stephen Jelley, Team BMW +0.368s
- Dexter Patterson, Re.Beverages and Bartercard with Team HARD +0.384s
- Sam Osborne, NAPA Racing UK +0.390s
- Daniel Lloyd, Autobrite Direct with Millers Oils +0.416s
- Daniel Rowbottom, NAPA Racing UK +0.446s
- Ricky Collard, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing UK +0.536s
- Aiden Moffat, One Motorsport with Starline Racing +0.663s
- Tom Chilton, BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8 +0.746s
- Ronan Pearson, BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8 +0.748s
- Rory Butcher, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing UK +0.749s
- Adam Morgan, Team BMW +0.790s
- Mikey Doble, CarStore Power Maxed Racing +0.808s
- Colin Turkington, Team BMW +0.878s
- Will Powell, One Motorsport with Starline Racing +1.329s
- Nic Hamilton, Go-Fix with Autoaid Breakdown +1.552s
- Nick Halstead, BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8 +2.012s
- Jade Edwards, Re.Beverages and Bartercard with Team HARD +2.572s