WATSON TOPS TEAM-MATE TAYLOR-SMITH IN FP2
CarStore Power Maxed Racing continued its impressive form as Andrew Watson pipped team-mate Aron Taylor-Smith in the closing seconds of FP2, with the duo claiming first and second for the Vauxhall Astra squad.
As per the earlier session, Jake Hill (Laser Tools Racing with MB Motorsport) led for much of the running as the BMW 330e M Sport showed its prowess around the short yet speedy Silverstone National circuit.
Taylor-Smith eventually overhauled Hill and looked to have earned bragging rights ahead of qualifying, but rookie Watson clocked a brilliant time on his final flier to move ahead by just 0.099s.
“The boys were right up there in FP1 and the car is in a good place,” said Watson. “The team have been doing such a great job and we’re all just fully focussed on the weekend ahead.”
The BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8 Hyundais also left it late to make their move as Tom Ingram and Ronan Pearson ended up third and fifth, with Hill wedged between them as the chequered flag fell.
Colin Turkington and Mikey Doble further highlighted the potential of the BMW and Vauxhall in sixth and seventh respectively, whilst Dan Cammish was eighth as NAPA Racing UK continued its rather anonymous day so far.
Last year’s pole-sitter and winner at Donington Park last time out – Rory Butcher – was ninth for TOYOTA GAZOO Racing UK, whilst Team BMW’s Adam Morgan rounded out the top ten.
Championship leader Ash Sutton was languishing way down the order – in 21st position – but with the three-time champion in such imperious form there is little doubt that the #116 Ford Focus should feature further up the order later today.
Qualifying for Round 25 of the 2023 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship commences at 1535, and will include the final ‘Top Ten Showdown’ of the season. The session being streamed live on the ITV Sport YouTube channel.
2023 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship – FP2 – Silverstone
1. Andrew Watson, CarStore Power Maxed Racing 57.633s
2. Árón Taylor-Smith, CarStore Power Maxed Racing +0.099s
3. Tom Ingram, BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8 +0.132s
4. Jake Hill, Laser Tools Racing with MB Motorsport +0.172s
5. Ronan Pearson, BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8 +0.189s
6. Colin Turkington, Team BMW +0.275s
7. Mikey Doble, CarStore Power Maxed Racing +0.289s
8. Dan Cammish, NAPA Racing UK +0.291s
9. Rory Butcher, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing UK +0.303s
10. Adam Morgan, Team BMW +0.339s
11. Daniel Rowbottom, NAPA Racing UK +0.395s
12. Stephen Jelley, Team BMW +0.428s
13. Ricky Collard, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing UK +0.428s
14. Tom Chilton, BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8 +0.486s
15. Bobby Thompson, Go-Fix with Autoaid Breakdown +0.489s
16. George Gamble, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing UK +0.507s
17. Daniel Lloyd, Autobrite Direct with Millers Oils +0.565s
18. Dexter Patterson, Re.Beverages and Bartercard with Team HARD +0.585s
19. Sam Osborne, NAPA Racing UK +0.586s
20. Josh Cook, One Motorsport with Starline Racing +0.609s
21. Ashley Sutton, NAPA Racing UK +0.636s
22. Nick Halstead, BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8 +0.675s
23. Aiden Moffat, One Motorsport with Starline Racing +0.770s
24. Jack Butel, Go-Fix with Autoaid Breakdown +0.937s
25. Daryl DeLeon, Re.Beverages and Bartercard with Team HARD +1.058s
26. Jade Edwards, One Motorsport with Starline Racing +1.129s
27. Michael Crees, Autobrite Direct with Millers Oils +1.410s