COOK HEADS MUCH CHANGED FP2 ORDER
Josh Cook was the front-runner in the second BTCC free practice session at Brands Hatch, as the One Motorsport with Starline Racing man headed a much-changed leading order.
“We have just been focusing on the balance of the car really,” said Cook. “We’re still trying to understand our pace out on track. We put the soft tyres on and it felt as I know the car can be. However, on the harder compound of tyres that we commonly run it doesn’t feel like that.
“It means there is a bit of head scratching in the garage, but it is nice to know that somewhere in the car there is pace. I am not sure whether it will translate to anything more in qualifying as everyone will go a bit quicker, but we focus on making our car better and on our day.”
Ricky Collard (TOYOTA GAZOO Racing UK) and Bobby Thompson (Go-Fix with Autoaid Breakdown) backed-up their impressive FP1 performances with a further improved second and third respectively, whilst Silverstone pole-sitter Mikey Doble (CarStore Power Maxed Racing) was fourth.
Aron Taylor-Smith continued his decent run of form and that of CarStore Power Maxed Racing’s with fifth, whilst Team BMW’s Colin Turkington rounded out the top six.
BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8’s Tom Ingram and Tom Chilton were seventh and eighth respectively, ahead of Adam Morgan (Team BMW) and Dan Cammish (NAPA Racing UK).
Ash Sutton was a surprising omission from the top ten as the NAPA Racing UK star produced the 18th quickest lap time, whilst it was a challenging start to the run for Aiden Moffat (One Motorsport with Starline Racing) as his Honda Civic Type R slid into the gravel.
Qualifying for Round 28 of the Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship commences at 1540, with the latter session being streamed live via the ITV Sport YouTube channel.
2023 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship – FP2 – Brands Hatch GP
1. Josh Cook, One Motorsport with Starline Racing 1:30.784s
2. Ricky Collard, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing UK +0.004s
3. Bobby Thompson, Go-Fix with Autoaid Breakdown +0.095s
4. Mikey Doble, CarStore Power Maxed Racing +0.135s
5. Árón Taylor-Smith, CarStore Power Maxed Racing +0.0.147s
6. Colin Turkington, Team BMW +0.183s
7. Tom Ingram, BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8 +0.204s
8. Tom Chilton, BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8 +0.241s
9. Adam Morgan, Team BMW +0.245s
10. Dan Cammish, NAPA Racing UK +0.285s
11. Rory Butcher, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing UK +0.313s
12. Andrew Watson, CarStore Power Maxed Racing +0.316s
13. George Gamble, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing UK +0.406s
14. Daniel Rowbottom, NAPA Racing UK +0.410s
15. Stephen Jelley, Team BMW +0.414s
16. Daniel Lloyd, Autobrite Direct with Millers Oils +0.483s
17. Jake Hill, Laser Tools Racing with MB Motorsport +0.581s
18. Ashley Sutton, NAPA Racing UK +0.700s
19. Aiden Moffat, One Motorsport with Starline Racing +0.790s
20. Ronan Pearson, BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8 +1.070s
21. James Gornall, Go-Fix with Autoaid Breakdown +1.181s
22. Sam Osborne, NAPA Racing UK +1.275s
23. Daryl DeLeon, Re.Beverages and Bartercard with Team HARD +1.456s
24. Dexter Patterson, Re.Beverages and Bartercard with Team HARD +1.503s
25. Jade Edwards, One Motorsport with Starline Racing +1.668s
26. Michael Crees, Autobrite Direct with Millers Oils +1.822s
27. Nick Halstead, BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8 1.865s