SUTTON TAKES 12th TRIUMPH OF 2023
Ash Sutton equalled Alain Menu’s modern day record of 12 race wins in a single BTCC season, with one more opportunity to take that success outright later today, as the NAPA Racing UK star looks to build on his Brands Hatch double so far.
Sutton made it look extremely comfortable from the front as he grabbed another commanding victory ahead of Tom Ingram (BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8) and Dan Cammish (NAPA Racing UK).
Cammish was involved in a lap one incident when his Ford Focus made contact with the right-rear of Colin Turkington’s Team BMW 330e M Sport at Druids, breaking the suspension of the #4 machine.
As Turkington’s car slowed he was collected by the Hyundai of Ronan Pearson (BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8), who was subsequently hit by Michael Crees’ Autobrite Direct with Millers Oils Cupra.
The first of two safety car periods followed and when the dust eventually settled it was Ricky Collard (TOYOTA GAZOO Racing UK), Bobby Thompson (Go-Fix with Autoaid Breakdown) and Jake Hill (Laser Tools Racing with MB Motorsport) completing the top six.
Josh Cook (One Motorsport with Starline Racing) and Dan Rowbottom (NAPA Racing UK) were also part of an intense scrap for seventh, whilst Stephen Jelley’s (Team BMW) ninth place was also rewarded with pole position for the reverse grid race later today.
The Autobrite Direct with Millers Oils Cupra of Daniel Lloyd rounded out the top ten.
Round 30 of the 2023 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship will take place at 1725 and will be broadcast LIVE on ITV4.
Ash Sutton said: “That was really good fun. It’s nice not having any pressure, it’s almost like going back to the start of the year. No expectations, we’ve done what we needed to do. Again, Tom (Ingram), he’s a tough old job. It’s great to have him (Cammish) on the podium as well.”
Tom Ingram said: “It’s just a little bit of pace. It’s just a tenth, two tenths, a lap that we don’t quite have. You try your hardest, we all look like we’ve just run a marathon because it’s about 25-30 degrees above ambient temperature in the car.”
Dan Cammish: “I had a great start, which really helped me to get off the line well and then go racing. Performance-wise I’m quite happy. These guys are just the level above this season, Ash (Sutton) has been superb, Tom (Ingram) has been superb every step of the way. I’m now just looking forward to next season.”
2023 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship – Race 2 – Brands Hatch GP
1. Ashley Sutton, NAPA Racing UK 18 Laps
2. Tom Ingram, BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8 +0.703s
3. Dan Cammish, NAPA Racing UK +0.921s
4. Ricky Collard, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing UK +1.699s
5. Bobby Thompson, Go-Fix with Autoaid Breakdown +3.328s
6. Jake Hill, Laser Tools Racing with MB Motorsport +3.579s
7. Josh Cook, One Motorsport with Starline Racing +3.678s
8. Daniel Rowbottom, NAPA Racing UK +4.093s
9. Stephen Jelley, Team BMW +4.462s
10. Daniel Lloyd, Autobrite Direct with Millers Oils +4.886s
11. Aiden Moffat, One Motorsport with Starline Racing +6.503s
12. Tom Chilton, BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8 +7.247s
13. Adam Morgan, Team BMW +8.108s
14. Dexter Patterson, Re.Beverages and Bartercard with Team HARD +8.640s
15. James Gornall, Go-Fix with Autoaid Breakdown +8.938s
16. Mikey Doble, CarStore Power Maxed Racing +9.147s
17. Jade Edwards, One Motorsport with Starline Racing +9.273s
18. Andrew Watson, CarStore Power Maxed Racing +10.597s
19. Rory Butcher, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing UK +12.560s
20. Nick Halstead, BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8 +13.324s
21. Daryl DeLeon, Re.Beverages and Bartercard with Team HARD DNF
22. Sam Osborne, NAPA Racing UK DNF
23. George Gamble, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing UK DNF
24. Árón Taylor-Smith, CarStore Power Maxed Racing DNF
25. Colin Turkington, Team BMW DNF
26. Ronan Pearson, BRISTOL STREET MOTORS with EXCELR8 DNF
27. Michael Crees, Autobrite Direct with Millers Oils DNF